What is the role of individual values in the development of ethical standards?
- Ethics ultimately boils down to the individual values one applies in decision-making.
- Individual values can be explored by asking five important questions in situations of decision-making:
- Have I thought about whether the action I may take is right or wrong?
- Will I be proud to tell others of my possible action?
- Am I willing to have everyone act as I am thinking of acting?
- Will my decision cause harm to others or to the environment?
- Will my action violate the law?