Preferred Debt - Explained
What is Preferred Debt?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What is a Preferred Debt?
Preferred debt refers to a financial obligation (debt) that carries priority or preference over other debts. As such, preferred debts are paid before regular(or non-preferred) debts.
A preferred debt becomes important in instances of payor insolvency or bankruptcy. Preferred debts will be paid from estate of the debtor before regular debts are paid.
- Bankruptcy Law (Intro)
- What is Bankruptcy?
- Insolvency - Definition
- What are the types of business bankruptcy?
- Chapter 9 Bankruptcy
- Chapter 12 Bankruptcy
- Chapter 15 Bankruptcy
- Who are the participants in the bankruptcy process?
- Key concepts behind the bankruptcy process?
- Absolute Priority Rule
- Pari Passu
- What rules govern the bankruptcy process?
- Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act
- American Bankruptcy Institute Definition
- What the authority of the bankruptcy court?
- What is the authority of the trustee (debtor in possession) in bankruptcy?
- Debtor in Possession
- What assets of the debtor are included in the bankruptcy estate?
- Bulk Sales Law
- What is the automatic stay in bankruptcy?
- What is a claim by creditors of the bankruptcy estate?
- What is voluntary and involuntary bankruptcy?
- What is the Chapter 7 bankruptcy process?
- What is the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process?
- How to File Bankruptcy for a Business
- Accept or reject contracts?
- Avoiding powers?
- Stay of Proceeding?
- Use of Business Assets?
- Post-Petition Financing?
- Bankruptcy Financing - Definition
- What is the appointment of a Trustee or Examiner in business bankruptcies?
- What is a Plan of Reorganization?
- Reorganization - Definition
- Subordinated Debt
- Preferred Debt
- What is Cramdown of a reorganization plan?
- To what extent does the bankruptcy process relieve a debtor's debts?