Role of Trustee in Bankruptcy
What does the Bankruptcy Trustee Do?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat is the authority of the trustee (debtor in possession) in bankruptcy?Panel titleDiscussion QuestionPractice QuestionAcademic Research
What is the authority of the trustee (debtor in possession) in bankruptcy?
As previously discussed, the trustee in bankruptcy plays an important role in the administration of a bankruptcy case. The general authority of the trustee includes:
- affirming or disaffirm contracts with the debtor which are yet to be performed;
- setting aside fraudulent conveyances from the bankruptcy estate;
- voiding certain preferential transfers of property by the debtor to creditors;
- suing those who owe the debtor an obligation that is not paid; and
- setting aside statutory liens on property taking effect upon the filing of bankruptcy.
Remember, the trustee in bankruptcy plays a primary role in all individual bankruptcies and business liquidation bankruptcies. Trustees are only appointed in business reorganizations in limited circumstances. It is the responsibility of the DIP to administer the bankruptcy estate. The authority of the DIP is discussed separately.
Next Article: Assets Included in Bankruptcy Estate Back to: BANKRUPTCY LAW
What do you think about the authority of the bankruptcy trustee? Why do you think the trustees authority is so broad?
ABC Corp is in the process of a liquidation bankruptcy. A bankruptcy trustee has been appointed to control ABCs bankruptcy estate. What are the powers of the trustee in settling the debts and obligations of the estate?