Bankruptcy Law (Intro)
A General Overview of Bankruptcy Law
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Overview of Bankruptcy
Bankruptcy is a federal body of law concerning the relationship between a debtor and creditors. Specifically, bankruptcy law provides several methods for a debtor to recover from financial situations that are overwhelming to the individuals continued well-being or existence. The bankruptcy process differs for individuals and businesses.
This chapter introduces the bankruptcy system. It introduces the applicable bankruptcy laws and key provisions. It begins by explaining the types of bankruptcy Chapters 7, 11, and 13. It then explains the method for initiating and processing a bankruptcy filing. It explores the role of the debtor, creditors, bankruptcy court, and trustee and the rights of each during the bankruptcy process. This includes the trustee or debtor in possessions right to stop collection efforts; the right to dis-affirm contracts; the right to recover certain prior payments made to creditors, etc.
A key concept throughout the bankruptcy process is the priority of secured and unsecured creditors. Lastly, it explains the rights and obligations of the parties at the conclusion of the bankruptcy process.
Next Article: What is Bankruptcy? Back to: BANKRUPTCY LAW
- Bankruptcy Law (Intro)
- What is Bankruptcy?
- What are the types of business bankruptcy?
- Who are the participants in the bankruptcy process?
- Key concepts behind the bankruptcy process?
- What rules govern the bankruptcy process?
- What the authority of the bankruptcy court?
- What is the authority of the trustee (debtor in possession) in bankruptcy?
- What assets of the debtor are included in the bankruptcy estate?
- What is the automatic stay in bankruptcy?
- What is a claim by creditors of the bankruptcy estate?
- What is voluntary and involuntary bankruptcy?
Business Bankruptcy Process
- What is the Chapter 7 bankruptcy process?
- What is the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process?
- How to File Bankruptcy for a Business
What is the appointment of a Trustee or Examiner in business bankruptcies?
- What is a Plan of Reorganization?
- Reorganization - Definition
- Subordinated Debt
- Preferred Debt
- What is Cramdown of a reorganization plan?
- To what extent does the bankruptcy process relieve a debtor's debts?