Where to File a Financing Statement - Explained
Where to File a Financing Statement
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhere is the appropriate office to file a financing statement?Discussion QuestionPractice QuestionAcademic Research
Where is the appropriate office to file a financing statement?
Financing statements covering goods are generally filed or processed through the state secretary of states office. Some states, however, require that the financing statement be physically filed at the local courthouse where the debtor is located. If the debtor is a business entity, the appropriate location for filing the jurisdiction where the debtor is organized. If the collateral is real estate, timber, as-extracted collateral, or fixtures, the financing statement must be filed in the local public property records. Financing statements covering goods and real estate converge when personal property becomes a fixture. In such cases, the financing statement covering goods may need to be filed in the real property records where the real estate is located.
Next Article: What is Priority of a Security Interest? Back to: SECURED TRANSACTIONS
- Perfection of a security interest?
- Perfecting a security interest in personal property?
- UCC-1 Statement
- Security interest in real property (land)?
- Register of Deeds
- Automatic Perfection of a security interest?
- Purchase Money Security Interest (PMSI) in consumer goods?
- Purchase Money Grace Period for a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- Continue perfection of a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- Temporary Automatic Perfection in Proceeds from the sale of goods?
- How is a security interest created in Assignment of Accounts Receivable and Contract Rights?
- Perfect a security interest by Possession of the collateral?
- Perfect a security interest by Control of collateral?
- Perfect a security interest by Filing a Financing Statement?
- Authorization is required to file a financing statement?
- Where to file a financing statement?
- Continuation Statement
Why do you think financing statements covering goods are filled in a central government office? Why do you think financing statements covering real estate are filed in the local office of property records?
Sean finances the sale of a piece of equipment to Zoey. He now wants to record as security interest in the collateral. Where should Sean file the security interest?