Overview of the Board of Directors - Explained
Duties of the Board
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsOverview of the Board of DirectorsWhat are the Primary Duties of the Board of Directors?Academic Research
Overview of the Board of Directors
The directors of the corporation are elected by the shareholders. The board of directors represents the interests of the shareholders within the corporation. The role of the board of directors is to make high-level operational, strategic, and governance decisions for the corporation. The bylaws set procedures and control or limit the authority of the board. For example, the bylaws outline the procedure for electing the board.
What are the Primary Duties of the Board of Directors?
The primary duties of the board are as follows:
- Appoint, supervise, and decide on the compensation of officers;
- Make major decisions affecting the corporation (outside of the ordinary course of operations);
- Establish the company's strategic mission;
- Establish the company-wide policies;
- Make corporate financing decisions (particularly the issuance of equity);
- Approving the company budget;
- Ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local laws.
Overview of Board of Directors
- What is the role of the Board of Directors?
- What is the composition of the board of directors?
What standards govern the actions of the board of directors?
- What is the Business Judgment Rule?
- What is D&O insurance?
- Codetermination (Foreign)
- Board Decision Making
- Advisory Board (Observer Directors)