Chief Security Officer - Definition
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Chief Security Officer Definition
Chief security officer refers to an executive position that deals with the overall management of risks in an organization. It entails protection of components such as digital and physical information, personnel as well as physical assets. In other words, it involves the protection of both software and hardware within the network of an organization. The CSO looks out for threats within the company network and institutes suitable security measures. Another term used to refer to this position is the chief information security officer (CISO).
A Little More on What is a Chief Security Officer (CSO)
In current society, security has become a priority for most organizations and businesses across the globe. Initially, a chief security officer (CSO) was mostly in charge of an organizations personnel and assets. However, the role of the CSO has changed with time as organizations are no longer focused on protecting their workers and assets only. They have extended to the overall management of corporate security. It has also incorporated the protection of both digital and physical information. Most corporates require a CSO to establish security policies that will prevent unauthorized access to customer and employees information. Generally, the key role of a CSO will be to ensure that there is value addition in the companys security, to give it a competitive age. This could be possible if he forges strong and secure connections between various departments in an organization. For instance, where the departments have nothing to worry about security, it makes operations to run smoothly.
Chief Security Officers Duties and Responsibilities
Note that CSO is one of the executive positions in the company. For this reason, most of his or her responsibilities involve managing employees and creating security-related policies. The number of responsibilities is highly dependent on the size of the organization. The larger the organization, the more responsibilities one would have and vice versa. The chief security officer of a company has the following responsibilities:
- Identify areas in the companys network that is at risk of being hacked. He is then tasked with establishing protection measures to protect hackers from accessing the system.
- In case a breach occurs, it is the CSOs responsibility to ensure that he or she mitigate any current cyber threats. In other words, he should always be aware of the latest security threats and work with the team to reduce or eliminate the threats.
- Ensure that the organization complies with the existing security regulatory policies and that it is fully accountable to them. Such policies may include international, national as well as local. These policies apply to things such as data protection, health, and safety, privacy, etc.
- Organize for seminars, workshops, meetings to provide security information to the executives and employees. The information may include the existing security guidelines which they are supposed to be aware of.
- Carry out research and come up with technology solutions as well as innovative techniques for managing security, to safeguard the entire organization.
- Through various sources, the CSO is supposed to coordinate and implement site security including activities to ensure the protection of the following:
- Information and physical assets
Directing the companys staff to ensure that they work towards reducing risks through a well-organized security process. The process activities may include:
- Identifying the risks
- Developing mitigation measures
- Implementing the measures to either mitigate or eliminate the identified risks.
Qualifications for a Chief Security Officer Position
Given that the CSO position is an executive one, may organizations will prefer a candidate with an advanced degree. The advanced degree should be business-related. Another option would be for a candidate to have vast security experience in the companys area of operation. Background education in law with IT security training, also makes one an ideal candidate for this position.
Remuneration for CSO Position
The salary of a CSO position varies depending on the following:
- Size of organization
A CSO in a larger organization is tasked with overseeing the operations of many departments. This makes his work more complex hence requiring a good salary package.
- Geographical location
Employees deployed to work in areas considered high-risk in terms of security, have good salary compensation package. However, since the CSO is tasked to ensure that everyone is protected including assets; the salary is expected to be high. The compensation for the CSO may also include allowances such as hardship allowance.
- Duties and responsibilities
Being an executive position with crucial roles and responsibilities, it makes salary to be considerably high.
References for Chief Security Officer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_security_officerhttps://www.csoonline.com/.../what-is-a-cso-understanding-the-critical-chief-security-...https://www.investopedia.com Small Business Entrepreneurshiphttps://work.chron.com Careers Information Technology Jobshttps://www.techopedia.com/definition/10484/chief-security-officer-csohttps://onlinedegrees.sandiego.edu/what-is-a-chief-security-officer-high-demand-skyr...