New to Export - Explained
What does New to Export mean?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat is New-to-Export?Why it matters to be New To Export CompaniesAcademic Research on New-to-export (NTE)
What is New-to-Export?
New-To-Export is a term used for describing the enterprises that are new in the export business. Companies enter the export business to gain access to new markets and customers. There are certain rules required to be followed while sending a shipment abroad. The new-to-exports businesses often find it difficult to understand all the rules and fail to execute it properly.
Back to: OPERATIONS, LOGISTICS, & SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
Why it matters to be New To Export Companies
Efficient and organized operational staffs are key to achieve a success in exporting goods. All the information including client details, payments, shipments, and orders need to be maintained and organized in a central database in order to avoid any mistake. The stellar logistic team is another important factor in an export business. The logistics staffs ensure the products are packaged properly for sending out to a foreign country. Packaging needs to be done with utmost care in order to ensure it reaches undamaged to the receiver. The packaging rules must be followed thoroughly, otherwise, it may not pass the customs.
The logistics team is also responsible for maintaining a liaison with freight forwarders in order to make sure the product reaches the destination on time and the company gets the best service at the best price. A company may decide to outsource the logistics operations by hiring external logistics companies. Whatever the case may be, the team needs to be highly efficient, thorough and detail oriented. Packaging and documentation are very important for a successful export business. As all the shipments are thoroughly checked by the destination country's customs officials, the shipment needs to be packaged and labeled according to the guideline. If the customs find any discrepancy, they might refuse to permit its entry into the country or it can delay the inspection process. The exporting company loses both time and money on such occasions of delayed delivery.
The basic requirement for any international shipment includes export invoice, applicable licenses, EEI filing, and dangerous good tag. Each country has its additional requirements, so it is important for the exporter to know the rules of the destination country properly before establishing a trade relationship with them. Shipping platforms provide guidance on such requirements, also the U.S. Customs and Border Protection can be followed to know more about the regulations. In the United States, eleven International Commercial Terms (Incoterms) are in effect. Each of it has different rulings regarding which party (seller or buyer) is responsible for which documents, taxes, fees, and risks that are applicable to the shipment. The company needs to clearly communicate to both the customer and freight forwarder that which incoterms are being used for the shipment.
HS/HTS codes differentiate the type of products. Each international shipment must carry the correct HS/HTS code so that the Customs department understands what is inside the package. It is very important to put the correct code on packages. Each HS/HTS code and each country has their own regulation regarding the fees and tariffs. The company needs to pay all the required fees and tariffs for a successful international delivery. Freight forwarders are extremely helpful for sending a product outside the country. It is not necessary to appoint a freight forwarder company but a company who is new-to-export should get help from a freight forwarder to ensure everything is in place.
Freight forwarders guide the company properly throughout the process. They can also prepare the documentation for an international shipment on behalf of the company. Appointing a freight forwarder company licensed with the International Air Transport Association and the Federal Maritime Commission is always advisable for sending goods abroad. In international trading, the clients do not generally pay the full amount upfront. So, it is important to have a strong financial back up to deliver the product on time. Before entering the international trade, a company must ensure it has the required financial support for successfully completing the delivery process.
Academic Research on New-to-export (NTE)
- Strategic orientations in export pricing: a clustering approach to create firm taxonomies, Cavusgil, S. T., Chan, K., & Zhang, C. (2003).Journal of International Marketing,11(1), 47-72. Cavusgil, S. T., Chan, K., & Zhang, C. (2003). Strategic orientations in export pricing: a clustering approach to create firm taxonomies.Journal of International Marketing,11(1), 47-72. Changes in the worldwide economy have made estimating system progressively essential for sending out makers. Be that as it may, generally minimal exact work exists on fare estimating procedures to direct showcasing directors. The creators utilize a company's vital introductions in pricing and evaluating to make firm typologies. They locate that four groups of firms contrast crosswise over hierarchical, adventure related, send out a market, and execution factors. The discoveries recommend that administrative introductions in price estimation can be effectively used to assemble firms by the way they approach valuing choices.
- Buyer-seller links in export development, Egan, M. L., & Mody, A. (1992). World development,20(3), 321-334. Export advancement benefits are produced by connections between developing nation buyers and developing nation sellers. These connections diminish hindrances to passage into a developing-nation market by going about as conductors for data about promoting and generation of innovation and by giving access to more essential industry systems. Advantages are augmented when the connections are community and long haul. In this paper, bike and footwear brought into the United States are utilized to outline the arrangement, upkeep, and consequences for developing nation notorieties of buyer-seller connections. Open endeavors to help to develop a nation firms in shaping and keeping up long haul, shared relationships are additionally examined.
- Self-assessment by state export promotion agencies: A status report, Goodnow, J., & Elizabeth Goodnow, W. (1990). International Marketing Review,7(3). The flooding development of state sends out advancement spending plans in the United States ought to be legitimized by assessing the adequacy of the exercises they support. This investigation relates the evaluation of fare advancement endeavors to the dimension of state sends out an action. Different correspondence investigation was utilized to examine the phone study information gathered from fare advancement authorities in 45 states. Discoveries show connections among the dimension of state send out action and the proportion of exertion required for assessment, the span of fare advancement spending plans, and the utilization of chose trade advancement exercises.
- A empirical study of the differences between small exporting and non-exporting US firms, Yaprak, A. (1985). International Marketing Review,2(2), 72-83. Maybe the most noteworthy financial change inside the most recent three decades has been the internationalization of business. From the small dimensions of the 1950s, the volume of world exchange has detonated to over $2 trillion, and the offers of remote members of US firms have come to $500 billion by 1983 (Terpstra 1983). However, even in the light of quickened endeavors to additionally animate US exporters (e.g., the Export Trading Company Act of 1982), an ongoing Dunn and Bradstreet study demonstrated that under 1% of the US firms had occupied with sending out in 1982 (Trade Marks, 1983). Also, the International Trade Administration of the US Department of Commerce has bemoaned that just 5% of all US producers will have occupied with fare advertising in 1984.
- The role of export management companies in global marketing, Howard, D. G. (1994).Journal of Global marketing,8(1), 95-110. The paper reports the aftereffects of an investigation of 110 Export Management Companies (EMCs) situated all through the United States. These EMCs were studied to discover what global showcasing errands were most vital for effective sending out and how troublesome these undertakings were to perform for their customers. This examination additionally explored the apparent significance to the ECMs' trading accomplishment of different gatherings who frequently give sending out help to exporters. Moreover, these respondents were approached to react to the support to their sending out exercises of present and potential U.S. government activities. This exploration gives the premise to a few arrangement suggestions to U.S. government pioneers concerning their endeavors to help American exporters.
- Export Financing, Streng, W. P. (1973). San Diego L. Rev.,11, 104. Contract exchange and conclusion are imperative in sending out, at the end of the day, your organization must get paid. In light of the extraordinary challenge for fare markets, making a deal frequently relies upon your capacity to offer appealing installment terms. You ought to know about the many financing alternatives open to you with the goal that you can pick the most worthy one to both the purchaser and your organization. By and large, government help with fare financing for little and medium-sized organizations can build your choices
- The US approach to export market development, Parker, J. V. (1996). (No. 2154-2018-7583).
- Overseas trade missions as an export development tool, Spence, M. M. (2001). Journal of Euromarketing,9(2), 113-126.
- The Export-Import Bank of the United States' Battle Against Subsidized Export Credits, Alexander, D. C. (1991).Dick. J. Int'l L.,9, 267. The motivation behind this article is multi-faceted. Part I gives a diagram of the Export-Import Bank of the United States (Eximbank). Part II defines'and dissects trade credits. Part III depicts how to send out credits to support the advancement of fares. Part IV outfits a diagram of blended credits. Part V centers around the utilization of tied guide credits. Part VI clarifies which countries advance fares using tied guide credits and blended credits. Part VII talks about what kind of fares are commonly helped by tied guide credits and blended credits. Part VIII analyzes the different systems which the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) and the European Community used to direct tied guide credits and blended credits. Part IX clarifies the United States' reaction to the development of tied guide credits and blended credits. At long last, Part X presumes that the utilization of sponsored send out fund compromises United States trade deals. just as "free fare credits," and therefore, "unhindered commerce."
- Export Controls and India, Nayan, R., & Stewart, I. J. (2013).Center for Science & Security Studies. August. India is quickly turning into a critical potential provider of touchy products. To control these products, India has built up a fantastic structure of fare controls. It has legitimate and administrative components, authorizing, implementation, and private segment commitment arrangement. India seems arranged to join the four multilateral fare controls routines with some minor regulatory changes. In any case, there is further work to be finished.
- Export tax incentives for establishing foreign markets: An analysis of marginal costing techniques, Jacobs, F. A., & Larkins, E. R. (1998).Accounting Horizons,12(4), 374. The strategies for computing minor expenses in advanced education are inspected in detail. Peripheral expenses, as characterized in financial matters, is the adjustment in absolute expense related with creating one extra unit of yield. For every strategy, definitions and instances of cost computations are given, alongside data on information and investigative prerequisites and qualities/shortcomings.