Landing Page - Explained
What is a Landing Page?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat is a Landing Page?What is the History of the Landing Page?Academic Research on the Landing Page
What is a Landing Page?
A web page that is used in PPC (Pay Per Click) campaigns or such other types of online advertising is known as the Landing Page. But as per the view of experts in the field of digital marketing, it is a page of a website which is technically not shown to the users. It is hidden from the menu and navigation bars of a website. The potential users have to type the link directly in the web browser to access the landing page. Or they can click on the ad given in the form of an online link. The main purpose of this page is the leads generation.
Back to: MARKETING, SALES, ADVERTISING, & PR
What is the History of the Landing Page?
The Information Technology (IT) department of Microsoft introduced this concept of a landing page in 2003 because of decreasing sales of MS Office online. Many new businesses adopted this advertisement and the activities of lead generation in 2009. So, they began to simplify the process. Later, the concept of a landscape of this page was developed. It has now revolutionized the world of e-commerce and cloud computing.Every type of business that has an online presence, needs a landing page so that you may be able to offer goods and services online. You can opt out Google Adsense or affiliate marketing program easily. A notable thing is that the landing page of a website is not so much different from its other web pages. Mostly, the businesses have the home page as a landing page to redirect the users as they click on an ad or click on a result while searching. Data which is used for SEO marketing campaigns, social media marketing, and email marketing in order to make ads more impressive, is received from a landing page. There are landing pages that directly link to the shopping cart of an e-commerce site. This is to facilitate the visitor with the online shopping experience. On the other hand, some landing pages request the user to fill a form online. Data which he provides in that form is saved. From this form, the website owners get the email account of that person and use it in email campaigns. If the user develops interest, he converts into a customer from a visitor.A number of companies are there to help you in difficult part with least efforts. For example, Wix and Webnode are great options used by potential users conveniently. Moreover, you do not have to learn coding, HTML or java to construct a landing page that is responsive according to the requirements of todays online businesses.
Academic Research on the Landing Page
- Consumer driven multivariate landing page optimization: overview, issues and outlook, Gofman, A. (2007). The IPSI BgD Transactions on Internet Research, 3(2), 7-9. The optimization of landing page also known as LPO has been an important thing for years. Landing pages are indeed helpful in boosting the conversion rate and ROI (Return on Investment) of a website. We cannot get reliable information by using split test A/B, because it contains a few alternatives. This paper highlights the merits, demerits, classification and development of LPO, Multivariate LPO and its further variations in their most improved form. The technique allows performing testing of 1000s of prototypes of web pages with users. It seeks an actual optimal solution on the basis of individual, aggregated and segmented form.
- Emerging phishing trends and effectiveness of the anti-phishing landing page, Gupta, S., & Kumaraguru, P. (2014, September). In Electronic Crime Research (eCrime), 2014 APWG Symposium on (pp. 36-47). IEEE. Every month, web users are convinced that their personal information is with a reliable entity. So, they provide their personal data even financial information to the sites. Businesses use this data for their own purposes, e.g. money access, email campaigns, etc. Phishing costs a lot of Internet users every year. CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) researchers have developed APW group (Anti-Phishing Working) to spread awareness of how the users can avoid phishing attacks. This paper offers a comparative analysis of 2 datasets. The result is that a landing page can train visitors about phishing.
- Anti-phishing landing page: Turning a 404 into a teachable moment for end users, Kumaraguru, P., Cranor, L. F., & Mather, L. (2009). In Conference on Email and Anti-Spam (CEAS).This paper states how to design and implement the APWG (Anti-Phishing Working Group) and a landing page, which the financial institutions, government organisations, online traders and PSTD vendors (Phish Site Take Down) use currently. The authors describe the design process which is iterative and user centred. It is used to create a web page. They get the outcome as almost 70 thousand users got awareness with the help of landing pages. Around 81 links of websites appeared in email accounts under the head of APWG email repository.
- Categorization of display ads using image and landing page features, Kae, A., Kan, K., Narayanan, V. K., & Yankov, D. (2011, August). In Proceedings of the Third Workshop on Large Scale Data Mining: Theory and Applications (p. 1). ACM. In this paper, the authors discuss the issue that arises when display ads are automatically categorised into related interests taxonomy. The authors use image features applying OCR method from the ad pictures, title text, keywords, body and advertisers features to predict the type of display advertisement. They use an automated tool for the ad categorisation. Hence, it saves time and human efforts. For this categorisation, SVM models are used. OCR helps in developing the precision of such models.
- Adopting the cmu/apwg anti-phishing landing page idea for germany, Volkamer, M., Stockhardt, S., Bartsch, S., & Kauer, M. (2013, June). In Socio-Technical Aspects in Security and Trust (STAST), 2013 Third Workshop on (pp. 46-52). IEEE. This paper explains the fact that the use of technology has still not overcome the phishing attacks properly. CMU researchers present a solution that as a user clicks on a phishing page, hes near to hit the phishing link. The landing page is in multiple languages. But it doesnt work if the page is in the German language. The users quit immediately because they cannot read it. So, this idea is practically useful for novice visitors.
- Landing page characteristics model for mobile web performance evaluations on object and page levels., Johnson, T. A., & Seeling, P. (2015, June). In ICC (pp. 3616-3621). This paper explains the characteristics of landing page model and evaluates the performance of the mobile web on the page as well as object level.
- Multivariate Landing Page Optimization Using Hierarchical Bayes Choice-Based Conjoint, Schreiber, S., & Baier, D. (2015). In Data Science, Learning by Latent Structures, and Knowledge Discovery (pp. 465-474). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. Generally, the home page acts as the landing page of a website. Or it is any page that contains ads and asks for a response. Many visitors leave the page without exploring the website. To improve a landing page, A/B testing is a simple yet limited technique. Now, there are many latest approaches regarding. This paper takes into consideration one recent technique out of them. It focuses on the use of hierarchical Bates CBC/HB analysis. It basically makes a brief survey and tests several variants. The authors give the example of a German website of a pharmacy and create an effective landing page as a result of this research.
- Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions, Coker, L. S. (2008). This paper is about the optimization of a landing page. It is a complete guide on how to test a landing page and tune it for visitors conversion into customers.
- The concept of landing page in customer acquisition, , . (2016). : , 3 07.10. 2016 ., 119. This study clears the concept of a landing page and explains how to use it for customer acquisition
- Effect of Emotion on Marketing Landing Page Conversion, Reyes, J. F. (2016). Effect of Emotion on Marketing Landing Page Conversion. It depends on a visitor whether he stays on a website or quits. If a business targets the emotions of a visitor and displays ads related to his interests and expectations, chances are higher that he will convert to a customer. User testing can be helpful in this regard. In this paper, several tests have been performed using models of emotional design. The example tests show that only those marketing campaigns are successful in which the landing pages appeal the visitors and turn them into customers.