Adaptive Selling - Explained
What is Adaptive Selling?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat is Adaptive Selling?How does Adaptive Selling Work? Adaptive selling requirementsBenefits of adaptive selling to the salesperson Academics Research on Adaptive Selling
What is Adaptive Selling?
Adaptive selling is a customized selling approach which is based on several factors such as the feedback received from the customer, the sales situation and the customer you are selling to. One important feature of this selling approach is to understand the customers social life. The aim of adaptive selling is to offer a more consultative selling approach especially in an industry or global economic world which is full of uncertainty, fear, instability, and complexity.
Back to: MARKETING, SALES, ADVERTISING, & PR
How does Adaptive Selling Work?
In adaptive selling approach, the normal selling techniques which include automated emails and random cold calls is broken. This selling technique requires the person in charge of sales to be able to adapt to the customer's needs and problems. The main strategy for this approach to be efficient is for the seller to adapt or customize his selling techniques based on the customers style. This approach is said to be customer-centric and focuses on meeting the needs of a customer and ensuring they are happy and satisfied. Customer-centric is a tactic in which a business focuses on maximizing the services and products offered to the customers and creating a good relationship with the customer. Adaptive selling ensures the customer is at the center of all ideas, operations and decisions made in the business. It entails listening to the client, identifying his needs and solve his problem by giving them customized service or product. Adaptive selling approach helps to generate more leads and help a business to be a competitive differentiator in the market. The business focuses on establishing and maintaining relationships with the client and also adapting to their needs so as to provide a better customer service which in turn brings in more sales. This approach has been in use for a long time and is essential whenever a company or business wants to create a rapport with customers.
Adaptive selling requirements
- Adaptive selling requires a well-trained sales people and customer service team. This is because the approach is more consultative and based on the customers need.
- The sales team should have enough knowledge on the product they are selling and be able to use their selling techniques based on the customers need and expectation.
- Needs to understand the need of a customer before persuading a client into buying.
- Needs to understand the characteristics of the customer and adapt their sales behavior to it. For instance, a customer may be in a hurry, the salesperson should be able to notice it and change their selling words to be more precise and effective.
- Should adapt to the customer social and communication style so as to create a good relationship and build rapport. A good salesperson not only sells the product but also sells and maintain a good relationship with the customer.
- Should be able to control the sales process and be confident enough to lead the client to a successful sale transaction.
- Should be able to identify the needs, desires and fears of a client even without the client talking about them.
Some businesses and companies have turned selling process from being an art into a science in order to respond to the client quickly. They do so by ensuring that they only hire highly qualified salespeople who are also excellent in customer service. They have come up with ways of collecting and analyzing feedback from their customers which in turn help them customize a product or service which meets their needs. Companies then use this data to train complex sales teams who can provide customer service. The adaptive selling is effectively used today in e-commerce and tech industries. This is because they are able to use the data collected and computer algorithms to accurately target the market according to their clients need, taste, preferences, demographics and past purchase.
Benefits of adaptive selling to the salesperson
There are several benefits of adaptive selling enjoyed the salesperson:
- The sales person has a chance to learn other selling channels
- The salesperson is able to come across different types of customers with different needs and be able to analyze their needs.
- Sales person has a chance to develop capability of adapting clients need