Process for Registering a Copyright - Explained
How to Register a Copyright with the USCO
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat is the process for registering a copyright?Discussion QuestionAcademic Research
What is the process for registering a copyright?
Copyright registration is done through the US Copyright Office (USCO). It can be completed either electronically or through the mail. The process requires the completion of the specific forms applicable to the type or category of copyrightable work. These forms lay out the required material for each type of copyright. Once all required material is delivered, the USCO will review it and, if acceptable, issue a certificate of copyright.
Note: The holder of a copyright can also file the copyright registration with the US Customs Service in an effort to prevent the importation of infringing work.
Next Article: Who Can Claim Copyright Protection? Back to: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW
What is a copyright?
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act or DMCA Explained
- Basics of Copyright Law
- What are the rights of a holder of a copyright?
- What are the elements of a copyright?
- How long is the period of copyright protection?
- What is the process for registering a copyright?
- Who may claim and secure copyright protection?
- What are infringement and the process for enforcing a copyright?
- What are the defenses available against a claim of copyright infringement?
- Public Domain Works
- Licensing Agreement
- End User License Agreement
- What is Fair Use of copyright?
- What is the First Sale Doctrine?
Can you think of any benefits associated with filing a copyright? (Hint: Think about the benefits of registering other types of intellectual property.)