Universal Product Code (UPC) - Definition
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What is a Universal Product Code (UPC)?
The Universal Product Code (UPC) is a type of barcode that is attached to every retail product sold in stores around the world. It is a twelve - digit product code for identification of every retail item, the barcode aids an automatic checking -out of retail products at the cashier counter.
UPC was introduced in 1973 by IBM. Aside from product identification, this code provides relevant product information that stores use for inventory and ordering purposes. The UPC as a barcode applied at the electronic point-of-sale was replaced by European Article Numbering (EAN) code in 1976. Countries like the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom and some other countries use UPC.
Academic Research on Universal Product Code (UPC)
- The characteristics and decodability of the Universal Product Code symbol, Savir, D., & Laurer, G. J. (1975). IBM Systems Journal, 14(1), 16-34.
- Exhaustive measur.ement of food items in the home using a universal product code scanner, Stevens, J., Bryant, M., Wang, L., Borja, J., & Bentley, M. E. (2011). Public health nutrition, 14(2), 314-318.
- Assessing the home food environment nutrient supply using mobile barcode (Universal Product Code) scanning technology, Byrd-Bredbenner, C., & Bredbenner, C. A. (2010). Nutrition & Food Science, 40(3), 305-313.
- Understanding Universal Product CodeA Study and Simulation Experiments, Ahmad, A., Ahmad, S., Al-Habsi, A., & Al-Hinai, M. (2014). Indian Journal of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (Taylor & Francis)(IJIAM), 5(1), 25-34.
- How to Learn and Simulate Universal Product CodeAn Information Redundancy Technique, Ahmad, A. (2011). In The International Information Systems Conference (iiSC) 2011 Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman (p. 200).
- Upstream, Downstream: Diffusion and Impacts of the Universal Product Code, Basker, E., & Simcoe, T. (2017). National Bureau of Economic Research.Universal product code, Reilly, E. D. (2003). Investigating use of the universal product code by visually impaired shoppers and vendors, Brabyn, J., Gerrey, W., Fowle, T., & Crandall, W. (1994). Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 30, 335.Cost-benefit analysis universal product code scanner equipment for military commissary stores., Hudson, T. P. (1980). (Doctoral dissertation, Monterey, California. Naval Postgraduate School).The universal product code and computer assisted scanning: a marketing case study, Rauch, R. A. (1979). Universal Product Code (UPC) Bar Coding, Bacon, K. (2012). Basic Business and Economics: Understanding the Uses of the Universal Product Code., Blockhus, W. (1977). In Business Education Forum (Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 24-26).