Scanner Data - Explained
What are Scanner Panel Data?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What are Scanner Data?
Scanner panel data are just data that are recorded through checkout scanners that track purchases of the panel participants. So the panel is made up of different consumers who agree to have their purchase behavior tracked. When they check out at the store, that purchase is recorded and it generates this big wealth of data that helps us to understand consumers behavior.
Scanner panels generate is often thought of as big data. Big data is a term that refers to huge amounts of information and data that are tracked with technology - such as scanner panels.
Another aspect to scanner panel data is that it can help us to understand what we call co-purchasing. So, not only does it tell us when somebody buys our product. It tells us what else they buy at the same time. That can be meaningful to us as we design our marketing strategy.
Lastly, scanner panel data allows us to make comparisons between different consumers. For example, it tells us whether they're in different places geographically or in different regions or if they're different by gender or other things that we might think of as meaningful.
So, scanner panel data is a rich source of information that can be very helpful in guiding us and in designing and implementing our marketing strategy.
- Marketing Research Overview
- Quantitative and Qualitative Research
- Primary Research
- Secondary Research
- Determining the Right Marketing Strategy
- What is a Marketing Information System?
- What are Decision Support Systems?
- What are Marketing Models?
- What is a Marketing Dashboard?
- What Kinds of Data can we Use?
- Methods of Collecting Data
- What are Focus Groups?
- What is Group Think?
- What are Scanner Data?
- What is Web Tracking?
- What is Ethnography?
- What is Experimental` Research?
- What is Use of Statistics
- What Distorts the Results of Marketing Research?
- Challenges of International Market Research?