Cite this article as:"Ethics and Morality," in The Business Professor, updated January 30, 2015, last accessed October 27, 2020, https://thebusinessprofessor.com/lesson/ethics-morality/.
Back to: BUSINESS ETHICS
What is the role or effect of morality on ethics?
- Morality – is the collection of values that guides our behavior.
- It involves an understanding (of a societies view) of what is right and wrong and for justifying moral decisions.
- Businesses promote shared moral values to support social cooperation and control – meaning it has lead us to accept and trust others.
- Ethics is a systematic statement of right and wrong together with a philosophical system that both justifies and necessitates rules of conduct.
- Ethics involves a rational method for examining our moral lives
- Ethics helps us recognize what is right and wrong and to understand why we think something is right or wrong.
- Good, or being good, is defined as those moral goals and objectives we choose to pursue. (It defines us.)