Next Article: Theories Behind Criminal Punishment
Back to: Criminal Law
What types of punishment exist for criminal activity?
Criminal statutes carry numerous forms of punishment or sanction for criminal conduct including:
• Fines – These are monetary penalties placed on someone convicted of criminal activity.
• Incarceration – This includes the physical detention of an individual.
• Other Loss of Rights or Privileges – Other losses of rights or privileges pursuant to criminal conduct include:
⁃ the right to vote,
⁃ the right to own a firearm, and
⁃ the privilege of driving.
These punishments are not exclusive. Criminal conduct may carry multiple punishments.
• Discussion: Do you believe that criminal punishments are fair across all crimes in the United States? More specifically, are the criminal sanctions for white-collar crimes just in comparison to criminal sanctions for the sale for illegal drugs?
• Practice Question: Victor is charged with domestic abuse of his wife. The police have evidence that Victor physically attacked his wife on multiple occasions. The charges are a felony in Victor’s state. If convicted, what are the possible penalties Victor could face for this illegal conduct?