How are Arbitration Awards Enforced?
How to Enforce your Arbitration Award
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsHow are arbitration awards enforced?What is a common-law arbitration award jurisdiction?What is a statutory arbitration award jurisdiction?What is Registering an Arbitration Award?Discussion QuestionPractice QuestionAcademic Research
How are arbitration awards enforced?
The method of enforcing an arbitration award will vary depending upon whether the location of the award is a common-law arbitration jurisdiction or a statutory arbitration jurisdiction.
Back to: ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION Next Chapter: PROPERTY LAW
What is a common-law arbitration award jurisdiction?
In a common-law arbitration jurisdiction, a party must generally initiate a legal action to enforce an arbitration award as a contract.
What is a statutory arbitration award jurisdiction?
Most statutory-arbitration jurisdictions establish a process for enforcing arbitration awards. This may include seeking court recognition and approval of the award.
What is Registering an Arbitration Award?
Many jurisdictions require arbitration awards to be registered with the court system to receive judicial assistance in enforcement.
Generally, the holder of the award will file the award with the Clerk of Court's office.
The clerk will prepare a certification of judgment order for a judge's signature.
Once a judge signs and certifies the order, it may be enforced in the same manner as a judgment.
Once confirmed, the award is then reduced to an enforceable judgment, which may be enforced by the winning party in court, like any other judgment.
- Note: Under the FAA, state courts are encouraged to enforce arbitration agreements. Arbitration agreements shall be valid, irrevocable, and enforceable, save upon such grounds as exist at law or in equity for the revocation of any contract.
- What is Arbitration?
- What are the Advantages of Arbitration
- Initiating Arbitration Voluntary and Statutorily Mandated Arbitration?
- What is the procedure for carrying out an arbitration?
- Rules governing the arbitration Federal Arbitration Act
- What is the Judicial Review of Voluntary Arbitration?
- What is the Judicial Review of Mandatory Arbitration?
- What is Review under the Federal Arbitration Act?
What do you think about the process of enforcing an arbitration award? Should it be easier or require more effort to enforce? Should the courts get involved at all?
Josh receives an arbitration award in an arbitration governed by the Federal Arbitration Act. What process can Josh follow to enforce his arbitration award?
- Under the provisions Section 9 of the FAA, Erica is required to register the award with a court clerk. The court clerk will then prepare a certification of the judgment order for the judge's signature. The judge's signature gives the arbitration award powers to be enforceable as a judgment or order in any court. As part of this process, Erica would be able to seek an order for garnishment or execution. https://corporate.findlaw.com/litigation-disputes/the-basics-of-confirming-vacating-modifying-and-correcting-an.html