Negotiations & Communication
Learn Negotiations and Communications
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
This material provides an explanation of the salient topics relevant to communicating within the business environment.
Communications - Introductory Concepts
Methods of Communication
Constraints on Communication
Planning a Communication
Communication in Practice
- Hypodermic Needle Theory
- Transmission Model
- Attention Model
- Users and Gratifications Theory
- Two Step Flow Model
- Persuasion Theory
This material covers the practices and theories relevant to negotiation practice, such as distributive and integrative practices. It teaches students to frame the negotiation, identify a BATNA, set a reservation and target point, and identify strategy and tactics to achieve negotiation objectives.
Key Concepts in Negotiation
- What is negotiation?
- What scenarios or situations lead to a negotiation or cause parties to negotiate?
- What characteristics are common to all negotiations?
- What are the differences among negotiators that affect the negotiation process?
- What is a conflict and how does it give rise to negotiation?
- How is a negotiators disposition toward conflict resolution related to negotiation strategy?
- What is the level of dependence in a conflict negotiation?
- What are integrative, distributive, and compatible bargaining scenarios?
- What is the BATNA and what is the significance of alternatives in negotiation?
- What is the significance of the reservation point and ZOPA in a negotiation?
- What is the significance of concessions or adjustment of the bargaining position?
- What are anchor points and the bargaining range in a negotiation?
- What personal and situational factors are commonly understood to affect negotiation?
Framing Up a Negotiation
- How do parties define the issues or negotiation goals, known as the bargaining mix?
- How does one prioritize the issues in a negotiation?
- How do you frame up (identify the key characteristics of) a negotiation?
- What is the significance of understanding the resistance point of both parties?
- How do parties open the negotiation Anchor Point?
- Why is it important to plan for concessions?
Distributive vs Integrative
- What is a distributive negotiation?
- What procedures are considered best practices in a distributive negotiation?
- What is an integrative negotiation?
- Zero-Sum Game
- What procedures are considered best practices in an integrative negotiation?
- What personal characteristics of negotiators facilitate a successful integrative negotiation?
Strategy and Tactics
- What is Strategy in Negotiation?
- How does Motivational Orientation affect strategic orientation?
- What is a strategic objective in a negotiation?
- What are some strategic objectives associated with negative outcomes?
- What is the process for developing a strategic negotiation plan?
- What is Self Assessment when strategically planning a negotiation?
- How should you proceed to Assess the Other Party when strategically planning a negotiation?
- How do you Assess the Situational Aspects when strategically planning a negotiation?
- How do you assess the Social Context when strategically planning a negotiation?
- What other factors are understood to affect strategy in a negotiation?
- Power Tactics and Strategy in a Negotiation?
- Tactics aimed at persuading a counterparty?
- Tactics to facilitate bargain within the Zone of Potential Agreement?
- Dealing with Distributive Negotiation Tactics?
- Integrative negotiation tactics?
- What is perception in the context of negotiation?
- What is Cognitive Framing in the context of negotiation?
- Mental models of negotiation?
- What are Cognitive Biases in negotiations?
- What is risk and how does risk perception affect a negotiation?
- How do perceptions of entitlement and fairness affect negotiations?
- How does social comparison affect perceptions of fairness?
- What is the effect of mood and emotions in negotiation?
- What role does creativity play in negotiations?
Trust and Relationships
- What are multi-party negotiations and how do they affect the negotiation process?
- How does one manage the various stages of a multiparty negotiation?
- What are coalitions and how do they affect negotiations?
- What is a principal-agent relationship and how does it affect a negotiation?
- What is a constituent relationship and how does it affect negotiation?
- What are team negotiations and how do they affect the negotiation process?
- What are intergroup negotiations, and how do they affect a negotiation?