Communication - Explained
What is Communication?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat is Communication?Why is communication important?What is the Effect of Poor Communications?
What is Communication?
Communication can be understood as the process of expressing ones thoughts and relaying it to the others.
Communication can be carried out in writing as well as verbally.
Communication usually involves more than one person where different thoughts, ideas and expressions are shared among people.
Next Article: Communication Process Back to: Business Management
Why is communication important?
The reasons to communicate can be divided under three heads.
- To pass on or share information, inform
- To influence someone to do something, persuade, and
- To derive fun and enjoyment, entertain.
Communication can have a strong impact in a persons professional as well as private life. In the private sphere, it points to a persons need for validation and appreciation.
Communication enables a person to feel confident about ones own self.
Miscommunication or failure to communicate ones own thought may be detrimental for their confidence as well as the image of self or the brand that they are representing.
Every person wishes to be understood and by that instinct, they also tend to communicate and involve with others who might understand them.
One is able to understand another person if they are able to process their thoughts with clarity and are perceptive.
Education and the ability to communicate play a very important role here.
Communication has a strong impact on a persons social interaction, thus, fostering friendship, camaraderie, association, the sense of loyalty and fellow feelings among people who more or less remain at the same level.
One's professional value is inclusive of their capability to achieve a goal, or to accomplish certain tasks that are given to them. It also enables an individual to manifest his/her culture.
Imperfect communication skills do not serve any fruitful purpose. It is not only time consuming, but also, most of the times the messages are not clearly put across.
Moreover, if an action is undertaken based on misinterpretation of a particular message or conversation, it is rendered valueless.
Poor communication skills can lead to problems between people involved in such conversations. It can also have an adverse impact on business.
What is the Effect of Poor Communications?
The ill effects of poor communication skills on business endeavors can result in the following:
- The relationship between people involved in such conversations can be impaired.
- It can have a gross adverse impact on the productivity of the communicators.
- Inefficient communication skills can force communicators to revise their plan of action.
- It might result in conflict of interests between persons concerned.
- It might also result in people losing out on some good opportunities.
- It can result in unprofessional behavior like missing out on deadlines or delayed submission of work or project.
- It may result in a person losing out on a scope of good performance, or hurriedly dragged into performing when underprepared.
- It may result in resources getting destroyed or exhausted.
- The predefined requirements for a project might not be met if the communications remain unclear.