Gap Analysis - Explained
What is a Gap Analysis?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What is a Gap Analysis?
Gap Analysis refers to the comparison between the actual and standard performance of an organization. It identifies if it is performing as per the expectations, and utilizing resources in an efficient manner.
Gap analysis involves a 4-step process that ultimately identifies the loopholes of the company, and tells which areas need special attention.
- Define objectives clearly: The very first thing is to identify and define objectives clearly. Also, the company should ensure that they are specific, quantifiable, and can be achieved in a given time frame.
- Benchmarking: Benchmarking is about determining and ascertaining the companys existing performance in reference to the objectives set in the first step.
- Analysis- After measuring the present performance, the next step is to do an analysis of the present performance, and find out the reasons why this performance is not able to meet the set standards.
- Preparing Gap report: In the end, the gap report is formulated in order to analyze the measurable/quantifiable data gathered, and look into the qualitative causes for not attaining the set goals. Also, they create an action plan for accomplishing the set organizational objectives in future.
Academic Research on Gap Analysis
- A gap analysis of professional service quality, Brown, S. W., & Swartz, T. A. (1989). The Journal of Marketing, 92-98.
- Integrating energy efficiency performance in production managementgap analysis between industrial needs and scientific literature, Bunse, K., Vodicka, M., Schnsleben, P., Brlhart, M., & Ernst, F. O. (2011). Journal of Cleaner Production, 19(6-7), 667-679.
- State government promotion of manufacturing exports: a gap analysis, Kotabe, M., & Czinkota, M. R. (1992). Journal of international business studies, 23(4), 637-658.
- Gap analysis of college student satisfaction as a measure of professional service quality, Hampton, G. M. (1993). Journal of professional services marketing, 9(1), 115-128.
- A gap analysis approach to marketing curriculum assessment: A study of skills and knowledge, Davis, R., Misra, S., & Van Auken, S. (2002). Journal of Marketing Education, 24(3), 218-224.
- Towards total project quality: a gap analysis approach, Winch, G., Usmani, A., & Edkins, A. (1998). Construction Management & Economics, 16(2), 193-207.
- Achieving service quality through gap analysis and a basic statistical approach, Headley, D. E., & Choi, B. (1992). Journal of Services Marketing, 6(1), 5-14.
- Benchmarking and gap analysis: what is the next milestone?, Balm, G. J. (1996). Benchmarking for Quality Management & Technology, 3(4), 28-33.
- A gap analysis model for improving airport service quality, Tsai, W. H., Hsu, W., & Chou, W. C. (2011). Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 22(10), 1025-1040.
- Competitive benchmarking of Korean luxury hotels using the analytic hierarchy process and competitive gap analysis, Min, H., & Min, H. (1996). Journal of Services Marketing, 10(3), 58-72.
- Employees' overestimation of functional and relational service quality: A gap analysis, Peiro, J. M., Martnez-Tur, V., & Ramos, J. (2005). Service Industries Journal, 25(6), 773-788.