Expenses - Explained
What are Expenses?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsWhat are Expenses?Example of an Expense
What are Expenses?
An expense is the cost of an asset or service used to earn revenue. Restated, an expense is just what we use in the business operations.
The point at which we actually expense it is when we have used it.
Example of an Expense
You are using electricity in your business. The cost of that electricity is going to be expensed. Your internet bill - that's an expense because you're using it in order to do something to generate revenue if you're a business.
If you go to the post office and buy a book of stamps, those stamps you bring back to your your work is not necessarily an expense yet. Why? Because, we haven't used them yet. When we start taking them out of the book and putting them on our envelopes and sending them off, at that moment I have used them and can start expensing them.
- What are Financial Statements? – Financial Accounting
- What is the Income Statement? – Financial Accounting
- What is the Statement of Retained Earnings – Financial Accounting
- What is a Balance Sheet? – Financial Accounting
- What is the Statement of Cash Flow? – Financial Accounting