Priority of Purchase Money Security Interest in Collateral - Explained
What is a PMSI in Collateral?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
What is the priority of a purchase-money security interest in goods (other than inventory and livestock)?
A purchase-money security interest (PMSI) is a security interest in collateral purchased with the value extended by the creditor. A seller or lender may also acquire a PMSI in goods sold if it finances the purchase. A perfected purchase-money security interest in goods (other than inventory or livestock) has priority over conflicting security interests if the security interest is perfected within 20 days of the debtor receiving possession of the goods. Also, the PMSI provides for priority in identifiable proceeds of the collateral if sold. There is, however, a potential conflict in this situation with secured parties perfected by control over deposit accounts. If the PMSI collateral is sold and the proceeds deposited in a controlled deposit account, a party with a security interest in the deposit account would have priority to the funds.
Note: A secured party does not lose PMSI protection because the underlying obligation is renewed, refinanced, or restructured.
Next Article: Purchase Money Security Interest in Inventory Back to: SECURED TRANSACTIONS
How do you feel about a purchase-money lenders ability to establish priority for its security interest in goods acquired with the value extended to the debtor? Should the purchase-money lenders security interest lose priority if not filed within the 20-day period? Why or why not? Can you think of any conflicts between lenders that could arise because of the 20-day filing window for continued perfection?
ABC Corp sells printer equipment. 123, LLC purchases a new office printer. ABC finances the purchase over 12 months and attaches a security interest. What will ABC Corp need to do to perfect or continue perfection of its security interest?
- Secured Transactions Law (Intro)
- What is a Security Interest?
- Pledge as Collateral
- Cross Collateralization
- After-Acquired Collateral
Unsecured Loan Definition
- Unencumbered Asset
- What is a Secured Creditor?
- Unsecured Creditor
- What are the benefits of security interests for creditors?
- Limited Recourse Debt
Uniform Commercial Code - Article 9
- What are the common types of security interest in real property (land)?
- What is a mortgage?
- How does a security interest protect the mortgage holder?
- Lis Pendens
- Deficiency Judgment
- What is a Deed of Trust or Security Deed?
- What is a Land Sale Contract?
- What is a security interest in personal property?
- How does one establish a security interest in personal property?
- What is Perfection of a security interest?
- What are the methods of perfecting a security interest in personal property?
- UCC-1 Statement
- How does one establish a security interest in real property (land)?
- Register of Deeds
- What is Automatic Perfection of a security interest?
- What is a Purchase Money Security Interest (PMSI) in consumer goods?
- What is a Purchase Money Grace Period for a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- How does one continue perfection of a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- What is Temporary Automatic Perfection in Proceeds from the sale of goods?
- How is a security interest created in Assignment of Accounts Receivable and Contract Rights?
- How does one perfect a security interest by Possession of the collateral?
- How does on perfect a security interest by Control of collateral?
- How does one perfect a security interest by Filing a Financing Statement?
- What authorization is required to file a financing statement?
- Where is the appropriate office to file a financing statement?
- Continuation Statement
- What is Priority of a security interest?
- What role does perfection play in establishing the Priority of a secured party?
- What are the common conflicts arising as to priority of a security interest?
- What is the priority of parties secured by common law and statutory liens?
- Lien - Definition
- Blanket Lien Definition
- Unperfected Lien
- Possessory Lien
- Non-Possessory Lien
- Tax Lien
- Mechanics Lien Definition
- Construction Lien
- Cloud on Title
- What is the priority of a buyer of collateral that is subject to a security interest?
- What is required to be a buyer in the ordinary course of business?
- How does 9-320(b) protect consumers who purchase goods from other consumers?
- What is the Shelter Principle?
- What are the general Priority Rules for Conflicting security interests?
- Subordination Agreement
- Who has Priority in Proceeds from the sale of collateral?
- What is a secured party's priority in future advances to a debtor?
- What is the priority of a PMSI in goods (other than inventory and livestock)?
- What is the priority of a PMSI in inventory?
- What is the priority of conflicting PMSIs?
- What is the priority of security interests in fixtures?
- What is the scope of fixture priority rules?