Perfection of a Security Interest by Possession - Explained
What is Perfection by Possession?
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales & PR
- Accounting, Taxation, and Reporting
- Professionalism & Career Development
Law, Transactions, & Risk Management
Government, Legal System, Administrative Law, & Constitutional Law Legal Disputes - Civil & Criminal Law Agency Law HR, Employment, Labor, & Discrimination Business Entities, Corporate Governance & Ownership Business Transactions, Antitrust, & Securities Law Real Estate, Personal, & Intellectual Property Commercial Law: Contract, Payments, Security Interests, & Bankruptcy Consumer Protection Insurance & Risk Management Immigration Law Environmental Protection Law Inheritance, Estates, and Trusts
- Business Management & Operations
- Economics, Finance, & Analytics
Table of ContentsHow does one perfect a security interest by possession of the collateral?Discussion QuestionPractice QuestionAcademic Research
How does one perfect a security interest by possession of the collateral?
Article 9 allows a secured party to perfect a security interest in goods, instruments, negotiable documents or tangible chattel paper by securing possession of the collateral. Securing possession can mean personal possession or possession by an agent. If an agent secures possession on behalf of the secured party, perfection may require the agents authenticated acknowledgement that the collateral is held on behalf of the secured party.
- Relevant Law: 9-313
Note: The debtor or an agent of the debtor cannot also serve as an agent of the secured party for purposes of perfecting a security interest.
Next Article: Perfection of a Security Interest by Control Back to: SECURED TRANSACTIONS
- Perfection of a security interest?
- Perfecting a security interest in personal property?
- UCC-1 Statement
- Security interest in real property (land)?
- Register of Deeds
- Automatic Perfection of a security interest?
- Purchase Money Security Interest (PMSI) in consumer goods?
- Purchase Money Grace Period for a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- Continue perfection of a PMSI in non-consumer goods?
- Temporary Automatic Perfection in Proceeds from the sale of goods?
- How is a security interest created in Assignment of Accounts Receivable and Contract Rights?
- Perfect a security interest by Possession of the collateral?
- Perfect a security interest by Control of collateral?
- Perfect a security interest by Filing a Financing Statement?
- Authorization is required to file a financing statement?
- Where to file a financing statement?
- Continuation Statement
Do you think the law should allow perfection of a security interest in certain types of collateral by simply taking possession of the collateral? Why or why not? Do you think this meets the objectives of requiring perfection of a security interest?
Tom agrees to purchase Amy's lawnmower. He agrees to pay for the mower by making equal payments over the next 6 months. They sign a security agreement granting Amy a security interest. Tom agrees to allow Amy to remain in possession of the lawnmower until the purchase price is paid. Is Amy's security interest perfected?